Ranking Lesbian Jesus: Hayley Kiyoko Extended Plays from Least Favorite to Favorite

Hello my loves it is I queerpophoe back at it with my second ranking blog. Who have I decided to do you ask? The Lesbian Goddess, and patron saint known as Hayley Kiyoko. If you do not know of her I am assuming you are straight. Lol jk.....but not really. Hayley Kiyoko is  Japanese-English-Welsh-German singer/actress from LA. She is hands down one of my fave singer/songwriters.  My first intro to Kiyoko was through the first Cartoon Network live action Scooby Doo film. Playing the queer icon that is Velma Dinkley. Through further research I found out she made music. Being the inquisitive queer I am I decided to give it a listen. It was the best decision I ever made. As a songwriter she sings about the queer experience in a way that touches the soul. Add her ability to co-produce her videos and her presence on screen I was hooked. "Girls like Girls" (2013) forever lives in my heart as a Queer anthem. So when thinking about who I wanted to rank next, she was an obvious choice. Let's Begin.


#4 I'm Too Sensitive for this Shit (2020)
Track List:
      1. Demons
      2. L.O.V.E Me 
      3. Runaway
      4. I Wish
      5. She
Kiyoko's most recent release ITSFTS is a sold EP. Unfortunately this body of work was released after her well received debut LP "Expectations". Which is one of my fave bodies of work from 2018. Which is quite a tough thing since the album holds so much weight for me. The sound of this extended play has a similar sound to what you have heard from her in the past. That being said some of these songs just do not move me. They are not catchy nor do they get stuck in your head. With the exceptions of "Demons" and "I Wish" which are the standouts of the work. The other three tracks seem like throwaway tracks. Nevertheless if you are a fan of her work, give it a listen. 
Standouts:Demons, I Wish


#3 A Belle to Remember (2013)
Track List:
      1. A Belle to Remember
      2. Rich Youth
      3. Maple
      4. Hit and Run
      5. Wild and Wicked World
      6. Better than Love
This is Hayley's first EP which I would describe as a pop/soft rock indie outfit. The songs are all cute and catchy, but they are also quite safe. She was not yet the creative powerhouse that she is today. That is apparent on this EP, tis no shade. The EP just lacks the confidence and self-assured attitude we see later. Despite that it is a good pop record. Its a personal body of work and for that it gains so many points. 
Standouts: A Belle to Remember, Rich Youth, Better than Love

#2 Citrine (2016)
Track List:
      1. Gravel to Tempo
      2. Ease my Mind
      3. Pretty Girl
      4. One Bad Night
      5. Palace
It was hard to figure out who would take the #1 spot. Both #1 and 2 are solid bodies of work. Ultimately "Citrine" had to be number 2. All but one track on this album are my absolute faves. Citrine is a great pop/r&b/hip hop EP. That confidence I mentioned above is on full display on this work Lyrically I can confidently say this is her strongest body of work. Some stand out lyrics are "I thought I was depressed but I think I just needed to cry " (Gravel to Tempo), "suck on your amber lips, just give me one bad night" (One bad Night) and all of Ease my Mind. Many times I find myself screaming me too girl!!! The only song that I do not care for is "Palace".
Standouts: Tracks 1-4

#1 This Side of Paradise (2015)
Track List:
      1. Given it All
      2. Cliff's Edge
      3. This Side of Paradise
      4. Girls like Girls
      5. Feeding the Fire
THIS EP is perfection. I wish I could end it there but that ain't a proper review.From the lyrics, to production, to subject matter, to the music videos everything spoke to me. Here Hayley is honest,and authentic. She peels back all the layers and (basically) comes out with "Girls like Girls". "This Side of Paradise" discusses longing in a way that hit my queer soul. That Queer longing really be hitting you in the gut. All of the tracks are well written, and this was when I knew she was a force. Her ability to write about her queer experience is unmatched. This EP in my humble opinion put her on the map.
Standouts: The Entire EP


I Present Thee Lesbian Jesus




Some of her music videos to check out: 

What I need Ft. Kehlani
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YynKelHGhNc

Gravel to Tempo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOm2rGwmhWg
 
Sleepover
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6jxPFtIAnw

I hope you enjoyed today's ranking and stay gay my little queerlings.


Sources: spotify, Wikipedia, my opinion, the interwebs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My favorite Brandy Songs!