My favorite Brandy Songs!

Hello my queerpophoes, it is I QueerpopHoe and I am back again with another blog about MUZIK. I was torn between doing this topic or another ranking of an artists full album. I decided to this blog over the other option in honor of Brandy Norwood's new album B7. The way I am going to do this is as follows:

  1. Will list My Fave Brandy Songs from 20 to 1
  2. I will include what Album (fuchsia)it is on and the year.
  3. I will also list any honorable mentions
  4. I have not listened to B7 yet so none of the songs off the album will be featured here. 
  5. I will be doing a review of B7 on my blog at a later date. 

Brandy Norwood is a singer, actress, and songwriter. Want more info about her, just visit her website linked below.

#20. "Warm it Up with Love" (2008)
Human
This track is off her 5th Studio Album Human. Brandy is quoted as saying that her long time producer Dark Child did not give her the best of the best on this album. Now I am just a fan so I cannot say whether or not that's the case. Nevertheless I think that this song is upbeat and has a super positive message. Her vocals are beautiful, and I love the echo sound from the backup vocals. It is definitely a standout on the LP. In my opinion it has a very 2008 R&B/Pop sound. I really enjoy it 

↓↓

#19. "Beggin and Pleadin"(2016)
Single Release

This single was released in 2016 and it has this amazing bluesy teas mixed with current R&B beats. It is one of those songs that I cannot help but feel. You feel all her emotions in her vocals and the vocal styling mirrors Blues favorites like Ma Rainey and Bessie Smith. It is something that is nostalgic and current. When it comes to her vocal prowess her range, vocal runs, tone, and vocal control is impeccable. The song is dope hence why it was #1 on the US Blues Digital Songs Chart. As well as #17 on the  Billboard R&B Digital Songs Chart.

↓↓

#18. "Put That On Everything"(1998)
Never Say Never
 This song is track #11 on her critically acclaimed Sophomore LP Never Say Never. It is an absolutely beautiful R&B slow jam, it is one of those songs that you can  bop your head too...while having a good cry. Again her vocals on this song display her pain, her yearning, and her desire for love. I really enjoy everything about this song.

↓↓

#17."Long Distance"(2008)
Human

Another song from Human that I think is amazing. Everything about the song is beautiful. At the beginning and the end of the song it is just her vocal and the piano. Brandy immediately catches the listeners ear with soft, willowy vocals. Brandy is very good at expressing pain and yearning in her vocals. On "Long Distance" this is on full display; she really kills those runs and reminds everyone that she does not sing...she sanggggggs. The song made it to #13 on the Billboard US Adult R&B Songs Chart. (the remix also made it to some dance charts).

↓↓

#16. "I Wanna Be Down Remix"(1995)
ft. MC Lyte, YoYo, Queen Latifah

From the 2014 BET Hip Hop Awards

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
I had to get that out because this motherfucking remix gives me fucking life! We got Yoyo, Queen Latifah and MC Lyte on thee track, three of the most talented MC's to touch a fucking mic. Every time I hear this song I get chills cause it is so damn good.  Yasssssssssssssss. The song is PERFECT TO ME.

↓↓

#15."Afrodisiac"(2004)
Afrodisiac

Released as the second single from her 4th LP Afrodisiac, this song is R&B/Dance gold. I absolutely love the bridge portion "you fulfill my every desire, when I am with you, you take me higher". She does that echo thing that I love in some of her music. The song is dance-able and has a very 2000's vibe. Now that is not a read, cause this song still hits 16 years later. This was a song she did with Timbaland and the beats are totally Timbaland. It is one of my fave songs on what I consider one of her best albums. 

↓↓

#14. "Baby"(1994)
Brandy
                            
"Baby, baby, baby, baybay, don't you know that you so fiiinnnneee". This song was released as the second single from her debut self titled LP. It is so damn 90s R&B and is a timeless classic. Do you believe our good sis was only 16 years old. Her vocals presence is out of this world!!!! This song makes you wanna do the Bankhead bounce throughout the length of the jam. Just so you know!!!!! I have done that bounce throughout this song, maybe that is why I have shoulder issues now. Anyways this is an amazing bop and it made it into the Top 50 on multiple charts!

↓↓

#13."Wildest Dreams"(2012)
Two Eleven

This song is a very Brandy track, right on brand with some of the sounds she has show us since her debut album. "Wildest Dreams" is an underappreciated bop! It is also a very personal song, where we see  much vulnerability from her. The song is a mix of 90s, 2000s, and 2010s sounds. It sounds like it could be released in the each era and sounds like it fits. I love her vocals and her echos that she does. Between this and "Put it Down", this is the stronger single. Honestly it should have been the lead single. 

↓↓

#12."He Is"(2002)
Full Moon

Brandy is really good at singing ballads and slow jamz. Love songs are a strength of hers. The difference here is that the love she is talking about is of a spiritual kind. "He Is" is an absolutely well sung, and produced song. It has a simple drum beat, some piano and guitar and B's vocals. All of these instruments come together to make an absolutely touching song. 

↓↓


#11."Never Say Never"(1998)
Never Say Never

 Never Say Never is the title track of her 1998 LP. The song is a mid-tempo, R&B, hip-hop bippity boppity bop. Let it be known you will see a lot of this album on this list. Never Say Never was one of my fave albums in my young years. My cousin had it and I would play it over and over as a kid. Never Say Never just has this catchy beat, and repetitive lyrics. It is one that is easy to sing along too and bob ya head too. 

↓↓

#10. "Right Here(Departed)"(2008)
Human

I have loved this song since it first premiered on 106th and Park. I was 16 when this came out and had been a Brandy fan for most of my life. I just think this track was perfect for her. Love the subject matter of the song...protecting the ones you love. Sometimes when sad I listen to it and I immediately feel inspired.  It is a really positive song and it is a track that fit her vocal presence perfectly. 

↓↓


#9."Almost Doesn't Count"(1998)
Never Say Never

The Never Say Never album is one of my all time faves. This song is absolutely beautiful and it is one I have to play every couple of days to weeks. Most of us have been there when we have those almost relationships. I love the lyrics to this freaking song, her tone is absolute perfect. I love the drums and the piano, plus the guitar is mesmerizing. Let me tell you I get in my feels when this song is on.

↓↓

#8." I Wanna Be Down" (1994)
Brandy
Now you know I had to add the OG song because if not for the OG there would be no remix. I love this fucking song and it is sheer perfection. It's so dance-able, and it is a fucking essential 90s R&B bop. honestly that is all that needs to be said, IT IS THE SHIT.


↓↓

#7. "Who Is She 2 U"(2004)
Afrodisiac
From the moment I heard this song in "04 I was hooked. I love the intro where the producer is saying his "get on down, get on down, Brandy". In comes my girl Brandy whose voice blends effortlessly with a soul/hip-hop beat. The song fits the sound that is displayed on the album. Afrodisiac is a R&B/Hip Hop album at its core, with some dance elements and touches of soul. What is the source of success on this track is her vocal prowess. She has that Mary J ability to make you feel what she feels with her voice. I love it. 


↓↓

#6. "Have You Ever"(1998)
Never Say Never
One of my all time fave songs and videos. That suit and braids combination is TIMELESS. In terms to the song.. I would describe it as what I think when I hear 90s R&B. It is slow to mid tempo song with drum beats, and piano. Another one of those bops that puts my gay ass in my feels. I used to sing this as a kid all the damn time. Till this day it is one of my fave love songs. Once again that yearning in her voice hits my heart every time. 


↓↓

#5. "The Boy is Mine"(1998)ft. Monica 
Never Say Never
One of the best duets ever created. Both young artists are giving me life. When I was a kid my twin and I would sing this, I was always Brandy and she was Monica. God what can I say about this song that has not already been said. Nothing, its a classic song and it made it to #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 for a reason. It also won for Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group at 41st annual Grammy Awards.


↓↓

#4. "Full Moon"(2002)
Full Moon

" I ain't even gonna fronttttt, I ain't even gonna lieeee, since you walked up in the club, I been given you the eyeeeee". One of the best Brandy bops in my humble opinion. It is a great R&b Dance Track and can we peep the fashion and hair on the single cover??? WOW. The video is also visually stunning and so 2002. Why it only charted at 89 on the Hot 100 is beyond me. It is a bippity boppity bop. 

Before we get into the TOP 3 I gotta add some Honorable Mentions. 



Honorable Mention. "Sitting Up in My Room"(1995)
Waiting to Exhale OST
One of my fave R&B songs from one of my fave quintessential black movies from the 90s. This track is upbeat, sultry and fun. Also the video is so fucking good. Brandy really showed us her range on this 4:52 minute track. As mentioned before she was 16-17 at the time she recorded this and she had talent beyond her years. This song is a TIMELESS classic. It was certified platinum and charted in multiple countries. Would have been my #1 but I was only doing songs from her official albums. 


Honorable Mention. "Sadiddy"(2004)
Afrodisiac
She said she AINT SADIDDY. It is an underappreciated song from her 2004 LP Afrodisiac. It is a great upbeat Hip-Hop and R&B dance track. It is one that makes me dance and dance!



Honorable Mention: "Top of the World" (1998) ft Mase
Never Say Never
My Final Honorable Mention is one of her most Hip-Hop heavy tracks. With a great guest verse from the Harlem Bad Boy himself Mase. Till this day it is one of my fave songs from Brandy and from this album. Its a fucking Bop. Point. Blank. Period. 

Now for our TOP 3

#3. "What About Us"(2002)
Full Moon
My #3 song is another from Full Moon. I love this song and video, that hair and that outfit is ICONIC. The song is very much a Brandy track, by this time her sound had been solidified. That Soul/R&B/Hip-Hop/Pop sound is on full display here. It is dance-able and reminds me of being a young boi dancing to MTV. I had been a fan of Brandy for years by this time and she did not disappoint with this one.

↓↓

#2. "Talk About Our Love" (2004)ft. Kanye West
Afrodisiac
Its a BOPPPPP. One of my all time fave songs of Brandy's the song just goes hard. I love everything about the track...the lyrics, vocals, Ye's verse and the video. It is an uptempo R&B track. I remember when it premiered on 106th and Park. I became so freaking obsessed with this song after the 1st listen. It was almost my #1 pick. Made it to #2 on the Billboard Hot Dance Singles Chart, and #13 on the Hot Dance Songs. It also made plenty of other charts all over the world.

↓↓🎧🎧🎧🎧🎧🎧🎧🎧🎧🎧


#1. "U Don't Know Me(Like U Used To)(1998)
Never Say Never
As a kid I remember seeing this video on MTV and BET and really enjoying the song. A couple of years ago I decided to really give it a listen as an adult. It reminded that I actually was obsessed with this song and video as a child. The song is flawless to me! The beat is dope, her vocals are dope, the lyrics are dope, and the production is slick. Shockingly it was just a minor hit when it came out. Charting at #79 on the Hot 100, and #25 on the Hot R&B/Hip Hop Songs. Though it charted well in the UK. 
🎧🎧🎧🎧
Brandy represented so much to me as a child, and still does. Here was a dark skinned singer, actress and performer being hella successful for years. She was on the front of magazines after magazine, listed as one of the most beautiful women of her time. As a musician she inspired me, and as a vocalist she affected me. They call her the Vocal Bible cause sis just sannnnnggggg. Not to mention she played the only Cinderella I care about. Till next time. 

QueerpopHoe




Sources:
wikipedia, my opinion, spotify, the interwebs.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ranking Lesbian Jesus: Hayley Kiyoko Extended Plays from Least Favorite to Favorite