My Ranking of Carly Rae Jepsen's Albums and B Sides

So for my next blog entry I decided to rank Carly Rae Jepsen's discography. Let the record show that I will not be doing her first album Tug of War. I will only be doing the albums and B sides she has released when I discovered her. With that being said I want to preface by saying I am pissed...royally pissed. Till this day Carly is only known for her 2012 hit track "Call me Maybe". Why does this piss me off? Because she has released some of my favorite pop albums in the past 5 +years. As a songwriter, she has this knack for writing catchy pop songs. yet no other song has really hit since "CMM". This is a travesty but this is not a profile piece this is a ranking. So let's begin shall we? 
Let me explain how my rankings will go I will rank the very best to best (I love her fucking music so its all good). I will also pin point songs that I really enjoy and give you recommendations(in purple). Okay with all that taken care of we can get into the countdown.
#5 Emotion Side B (2016)
 The B sides to her ICONIC 2015 LP Emotion. The B sides are full of some solid pop tracks. It makes my #5 spot because the songs are not memorable to me. There are a couple stand out tracks like "Store", "Fever", and "First Time". All three of these tracks I greatly enjoy but as a whole piece of work it just did not impress me like some of her other work. That being said if you enjoy 80s inspired Pop music still give it a listen. It may not be my absolute favorite body of work but its still good. 
Track Listing:
1. First Time
2. Higher
3. The One
4. Fever 
5. Body Language
6.Cry
7.Store
8. Roses
 
#4. Dedicated (2019)
I LOVE THIS ALBUM! One of my fave albums of 2019, she really brought it with this one. Let me tell yall this shit is hard asf, as I love her music. This album is a disco inspired, 80s pop dream. The album just by the progression is clearly directed to someone. Hence the title Dedicated. The themes on the album are comprised of love, desire, self love, and romance. It has some of my fave Carly tracks on it including 
"Julien", "Now that I found you", "Too Much","No Drug Like Me", "Party for One", and "Want you in my room". These are just my absolute faves, the album is a masterpiece. As I mentioned before she is already a pop legend to me. This is a great follow up to Emotion which was so critically acclaimed its unfair. Some may not find the album anything special but do not compare it to Emotion. Its a whole separate entity and one of my fave albums of 2019. I still play it and have many of the tracks on repeat. 

Track Listing
1. Julien
2. No Drug Like Me
3. Now that I Found You
4.Want you in my room
5.Everything he needs
6.Happy not knowing
7.I'll be your girl
8.Too much
9.The Sound
10.Automatically in Love
11.Feels Right
12. Right Words, Wrong Time
13. Real Love
14.For Sure
15. Party for One
 
#3 Kiss (2012)
The album that houses "Call me Maybe". This album is full of great pop tracks. You start to hear the 80s influence a bit on this album. For me this album represents her tip toe into her sound. All of the songs are hella catchy and the album has some very dance-able tracks. My faves are "This Kiss", "Curiosity","Turn me up", Tonight I'm Getting over you", "Drive" and "Sweetie". There are similar themes on this album as her future albums. Star crossed lovers (this kiss),getting over a breakup, romance, passion, love and romance. Its a solid pop record and the intro to the Carly we see on Emotion (2015).

Track Listing
1. Tiny Little Bows
2. This Kiss
3. call me maybe
4. Curiosity
5. Good Time
6.More than a memory
7.Turn me Up
8.Hurt so Good
9.Beautiful
10. Tonight I'm Getting over you  
11.Guitar String/ Wedding Ring
12.Your heart is a muscle
13.Drive
14.Wrong Feels so Right
15.Sweetie
 
#2 Dedicated Side B (2020)

Released just some days on May 21st I knew from track 1 that this would replace my original #2. What was my original # 2 you ask, well it was Dedicated. Now I love Dedicated but I gotta say that as whole I love this album more. Her vocals are sickly sweet but paired with her superb song writing my ears perked up!  From track 1 to 12 we hear the elements that made Dedicated my fave album. We have the disco inspired, 80s new wave, syth pop amazingness that she has displayed in her career. What makes this stand out is that the album plays with sounds more. "Summer Love" has this funky guitar and drums that makes you tap your foot. It sounds like something you would hear at the disco. "This Love isn't crazy" is a fast paced synth pop song that was a wise choice to track 1. Starting with something so dance-able was a lovely way to set the tone. She also does a great falsetto on the song, and I had no clue she had such range. "This is what they say" is another great track that is dance-able. As soon as I heard it the beats reminded me of 2000s europop. Very simple lyrics and a repetitive chorus you can remember. "Heartbeat" is a ballad that exemplifies how great she is at writing a love song. Her voice is super sweet and the production on this song is beyond amazing. The way they play with different sounds is dope. That is why this album is already my #2 pick after only one listen. Stream it. Its so good. 

Track Listing
1.This Love Isn't Crazy
2. Window
3.Felt this way
4.Stay Away
5. This is what they say
6.Heartbeat
7.Summer Love
8.Fake Mona Lisa
9.Let's sort this whole thing out
10.Comeback
11.Solo
12. Now I don't hate California at all
 
#1 Emotion (2015)
I am honestly not gonna say too much about this album because what I have to say will mirror some reviewers. I fucking love this album. This album solidified that Carly was a force to be reckoned with in pop music. From "Boy Problems", "Your Type" (still have it on repeat), to the absolutely mesmerizing "Run Away with me" and "All that". Carly let yall know she did not come here to play with you hoes. This album made me realize that my hate for her( Yes I used to hate her cause Call me maybe is such an annoying song.)was unwarranted. Now all I do is sing my good sis praises for being one of the most underrated pop musicians. 

Track Listing:
1. Run away with me 
2. Emotion
3. I really like you
4. Gimme Love
5.All that
6.Boy problems
7.Making the most of the night
8.Your Type
9. Let's get lost
10.LA Hallucinations
11. Warm Blood
12. When I needed you
13.Black heart
14. I didn't just come here to dance
15.Favorite Colour 

Hope you enjoyed this Ranking and here are some links to listen to CRJ.

Links:

Also check her out on Youtube. She makes great videos too. 


Sources: the interwebs, spotify. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My favorite Brandy Songs!

Ranking Lesbian Jesus: Hayley Kiyoko Extended Plays from Least Favorite to Favorite