My Ranking of Halsey's Albums and EP'S

 Hello again, I am back after a LONG hiatus due to school, work, and life. Oh, how I have missed making content for you all. No more talking let's get into this ranking!

Note: I Will not do deluxe albums. Also, Halsey uses she/they pronouns so I will be using both.

#5 Room 93 (2014)

Track List:

      1. Is There Somewhere
      2. Ghost
      3. Hurricane
      4. Empty Gold
      5. Trouble
Halsey's first body of work is utterly forgettable. As a fan of her songwriting, these songs do not have the poetry, and beauty of some of her later work. The exceptions are tracks 2 and 3 (Ghost and Hurricane are bops). You can also find some of these tracks on her deluxe Badlands which I like more because it fits the narrative of the album. It is a decent debut EP...but just that DECENT.
Standouts: Ghost, Hurricane

#4 Manic (2020)

Track List
      1. Ashley
      2. Clementine
      3. Graveyard
      4. You Should be Sad
      5. Forever... (Is a Long Time)
      6. Dominic's Interlude (with Dominic Fike)
      7. I Hate Everybody
      8. 3 AM
      9. Without Me
      10. Finally// Beautiful Stranger
      11. Alanis's Interlude (with Alanis Morisette)
      12. Killing Boys
      13. Suga's interlude (with Suga of BTS)
      14. More
      15. Still Learning
      16. 929
This is by no means a bad album and I do not dislike it. But this is a ranking so something has to be #4. Manic is clearly a personal album, as well as a concept album. Halsey is big on concepts with her work and has the videography to prove it. Manic explores themes of mental health, losing relationships, sexuality, misogyny, and finding oneself. Lyrically she has improved immensely from her first offering (Room 93). Halsey's sound on this album is that she does not have a sound. She goes from pop-punk (3 AM) to synth-pop with hip-hop edges (Without Me), to pop-country (You Should Be Sad) within minutes. Manic is a good album, just not as good as the albums I will discuss below.
Standouts: Clementine, Graveyard, You Should Be Sad, 3AM, Without Me, Alani's Interlude

#3 If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power (2021)


Track List:

      1.  The Tradition        
      2. Bells in Santa Fe
      3. Easier than Lying
      4. Lilith
      5. Girl Is a Gun
      6. You Asked For This     
      7. Darling
      8. 1121
      9. Honey
      10. Whispers
      11. I Am Not a Woman, I'm a God
      12. The Lighthouse
      13. Ya'aburnee
I listened to this at 2' o clock in the morning a few nights ago and boy I do not regret losing sleep. Going into this new era, I was not sure what to expect from Halsey. Do not get me wrong, she proved she could do variations of rock music pretty well on 3AM. Nevertheless, I was nervous about if I would vibe with the sound. Halsey delivered great lyrics and production on this album was tight. The themes presented in this album are childbirth, motherhood, sexuality, relationships, and loss. Track times range from 2 mins to over 4 mins. Vocally she is the strongest I have heard on any album favorite or not. I can tell this album will become a fave the more I listen.

Standouts: Lilith, Bells in Santa Fe, Honey, I Am Not a Woman, I'm a God, Whispers

#2 Badlands (2015)

Track List:

      1. Castle
      2. Hold Me Down
      3. New Americana
      4. Drive
      5. Roman Holiday
      6. Colors
      7. Coming Down
      8. Haunting
      9. Control
      10. Young God
      11. Ghost
To be Frank, I do not have much to say about the album asides from it being one of my fave albums. Absolutely love 10 out of 11 songs on the LP. Halsey really shines on her first album, this would have been #1 if not for 2 reasons: 1) HFK is an album that helped me through dark times. 2) New Americana is an awful song and ruins the flow of this album. 

Standouts: Everything but New Americana

#1 Hopeless Fountain Kingdom (2017)

            Track List:
    1. The Prologue
    2. 100 Letters
    3. Eyes Closed
    4. Alone
    5. Now or Never
    6. Sorry
    7. Good Mourning
    8. Lie
    9. Walls Could Talk
    10. Bad at Love
    11. Strangers (with Lauren Jauregui)
    12. Devil in Me
    13. Hopeless (with Cashmere Cat)
This ALBUM means everything to me. It came into my life at a time when I was struggling with my mental health. Listening to this album got me through one of my lowest points in life. It was so weird cause it was almost like she was in my head. The lyrics on some of these tracks incite both negative and positive reactions, On "Devil in Me" they say "and I came tumbling down trying to reach your high, and I scream too loud when I speak my mind". That summer I was diagnosed with a mood disorder. To say I can relate is an understatement. Even the songs (Lie, Hopeless) that I do not care for stick with me. I may have my issues with Halsey due to some of the things they say, but this album will forever be in my heart and queue. For this album, I am so freaking thankful. 
Standouts: The ENTIRE thing

Wow, it has been amazing to blog again and I thank you to all who have taken the time to check out any of my posts. You are all wonderful humans and until next time... stay gay.

Happy Halloween my little queerlings!






Sources: interwebs, Wikipedia, my opinions, google search 


 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My favorite Brandy Songs!

Ranking Lesbian Jesus: Hayley Kiyoko Extended Plays from Least Favorite to Favorite