Is Lady Gaga's Chromatica a Return to her former Pop Glory...an Analysis/Review

Hello it is me ya boi queerpophoe and it has been a minute. I have been hella busy and took a break from my blogging, but I am back and ready to discuss some music. Today I will be providing an analysis/review of Mother Monster's new LP "Chromatica". The review will go as follows: I will give a mini review of each track, whether I liked it, loved, or hated it. Then I will rate the album as a whole and give it a couple scores. A-F, 1-10, and if it is queer pop hoe approved. Lastly I will answer a question I posed in the Title. If I believe that this album is a return to her former Pop glory. Many say that she fell off, so let's see if she is back on!

Let me begin by saying I have been a Lady Gaga fan since debuted."The Fame" (2008) and "Born this way" (2011) changed my life. In my humble opinion they are Pop Perfection, albums that left an impression. As a person I do not always vibe with her whole thing! BUT as a singer/songwriter and performer she always has impressed me. Even when whole albums were lackluster *ahem *2013's "ArtPOP". I have always thought she was and is incredibly talented. Through the years she has changed her looks and her sound. Sometimes it worked in her favor, sometimes it did not. Seeing how she has grown as an artist has been interesting. Does "Chromatica" work? Will it bring her back to the top of the pops? Let's discuss. 

Chromatica (2020)
The CD Cover: I gotta say that when it comes to creativity this is not my fave but it definitely catches the eye! It reminds me of Alien and Mad Max. So it most definitely gets points for the aesthetic. 


The Tracks!
 Track 2: Alice
I am skipping the interludes as I have no feelings other than annoyance when I hear them. Let's begin with "Alice". It is a dance-pop,electro house, euro pop inspired dance floor anthem. She uses Alice in Wonderland as an allegory for finding her Wonderland. Or her peace or happiness. Themes of the song would be mental health. Despite the song being dance-able it is a song folx with mental illness or physical illnesses can relate too. 
My Rating: 10/10

Track 3: Stu*pid Love
Full disclosure I did not like this song when it first was released. In my opinion it just did not move me. Sure ,it is a great dance-able track but she is a dance-pop artist. After listening to it again I do enjoy it. All in all it is an okay song, not her best though. 
My Rating: 5/10

Track 4: Rain on Me ft Ariana Grande
I love this song!!!! So damn catchy and she really lets loose on this track. I am a huge 90s Euro-Pop fan and this song just screams euro-pop. The bumping beat and the electro-pop and synths are music to my ears. I also love the blend of Ariana and Gaga's voices. sidenote: the video is so good! (video linked below)
My Rating: 10/10

Track 5: Free Woman
My favorite part of this song are the lyrics. She sounds so fucking powerful on this song. My fave lyric is " I'm still something, even if I gotta man". So many times non-men deal with the ideo that we belong to men. That once we are in relationships that is it, that is all we are. Lady G is making a stand! Great song. 
My Rating:7/10

Track 6: Fun Tonight
It is a bit slower than the past couple of songs. Despite that it gets faster towards the chorus. Compared to the past two songs it is not as catchy. This is one of the most personal songs on the album though. Subject matter seems to consist of her talking to an ex of some kind. Who is more into the fame and celebrity than she is. Although I am not certain whether she is talking to another person, or talking to her past self. Nevertheless it's a solid track. 
My Rating:6/10

Track 8: 911
I do not have much to say about this one. The beat is nice and reminds me of Kylie Minogue "Can't get you out of my head" (2001). In my head I have "la la la la la la la ...." its seriously pretty similar in beat. Other than that it is just an okay song. I just don't give a damn about it. 
My Rating:4/10

Track 9: Plastic Doll
Now this song on the other hand is amazing. From the intro where she says " I(echo) E I E I..p plastic doooolll" she got me. I love her vocals, the lyrical content and the beat is perfect. The theme of self love and independence is prevalent on this track as well. Production wise it is also the most interesting song to hear. I already know it is gonna be a fave. side note: sounds like it could have been on "Born This Way".
My Rating:10/10

Track 10: Sour Candy ft BLACKPINK
Here is my issue with this song. All of the songs that feature BLACKPINK seem to have the same vibe. Like it's a good pop song but it is so repetitive to me. It is not as adventurous as some of the other songs on the album. It has a simple house beat and seems to be filler. It gets better once Gaga joins after the first minute. I do believe that the song could grow on me, but it is kind of boring. 
My Rating:5/10

Track 11: Enigma
Once again the song feels like filler to me. Not a bad song, but not a song that I must listen too. Trying really hard to love it but after like 4 listens, I just do not care for it. Like the song before it's boring, but what the song above has that this one does not....is that Sour Candy is catchy. 
My Rating:2/10 (i just don't like it)

Track 12: Replay
I love the disco and electronica beat, it also has house elements and makes me want to dance the night away. This song really excites me, what I love the most is her voice. It really sounds like she is enjoying what she is singing. As a Disco fan this song just gives me that throwback feeling. I freaking love it and it is the best on the album for me. 
 My Rating: 10/10

Track 14: Sine from Above ft Elton John
Before anybody drags me, I do like EJ. That being said, why was he featured on the track? My issue is that EJ sounds out of place on the track. He is incredibly talented but he just does not fit on this song. I really enjoy it until he comes in and then I just feel confused.  I will saynthat I love the play on words. Sine from above is very clever.
My Rating: 6/10

Track 15: 1000 Doves
I do not feel anything when this song comes on. Her vocals are good, the beat is good. The lyrics are good, the production is good. It is just good.....good. 
My Rating:5/10

Track 16: Babylon
This song is a great way to end the album. It is dance-able and I love her talking parts on the track. Babylon is also the gayest song on the album. I am imagining black LGBT+ people vogueing and dancing their asses off. There is also what I think to be a choir towards the end. Someone was killing them vocal runs at the end. Great ending, lovely song. 
My Rating: 10/10



Full Album Ranking??????
That is right despite not loving some of the songs I still give the album an A. Despite some of it's shortcomings Gaga gave us multiple club bangers. I love music I can dance too and she does not disappoint. Back to the question I asked at the beginning. Is Chromatica a step back to her former Pop Glory???? 

The answer for me would be no. I say that because I do not think she fell off. What I do think is that this album was not meant to be the thing to make her the reigning Pop Queen. This album is meant to show you that Gaga can make almost anything and find a way to make some solid music. "Joanne" showed that she can do country/pop music with art pop flair . "Art Pop" showed the intersection between visual art and pop music, "Born This Way" was a dance pop masterpiece with some of her best tracks. "The Fame" was an intro to what she could become. "The Fame Monster" was an intro to what we saw on "ArtPOP and "Born This Way". "Chromatica"isn't her comeback album as in my opinion she never fell off. Time and time again Gaga has shown me that her talent has no limit. 

Till next time friends. 

QueerPopHoe

Sources: spotify, the interwebs, Wikipedia, my brain and opinion lol






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My favorite Brandy Songs!

Ranking Lesbian Jesus: Hayley Kiyoko Extended Plays from Least Favorite to Favorite