Mini Reviews: Brandy, and Haim

 Hello hello, it is queer pop hoe and I am back again from a hiatus! I have been so busy with school and work that i have not had time for doing my blog. Today though I have no assignments to do and some energy. Today's blog post will be mini album reviews for two very different artists. I got around to listening to B7 and Women in Music PT III yesterday during a slow period at work. I have thoughts on both, but one more so than the other. So let's jump into this.. Starting with Brandy's B7.

Brandy B7(2020)

Let's talk quickly about the cover art! I freaking love this cover art. She looks absolutely beautiful and the gold 7 makeup effect is dope! It is Afrocentric nostalgic but futuristic realness and I love it. 

That is probably the nicest thing I am going to say about the album, but before you drag me hear me out. Brandy is one of my fave artists and I love most of her music. So going into B7 I was quite excited to hear the album. I am gonna keep it short and sweet by separating the album into Positives and negatives. Then I will list the songs I think are standouts! Let's begin.

                                                            THE POSITIVES

    •  vocals ๐Ÿ‘
    • production๐Ÿ‘
    • visuals๐Ÿ‘
    • songwriting๐Ÿ‘ 

Her vocals are always on point so I knew I was in for smooth harmonies, great vocal control, sweet runs and range for days. 

Production wise it is perfection. The beats, the way the songs flow, the art direction, all good. The visuals also go hand in hand with his as well. 

The songwriting is good! Especially track 6 "Borderline". It is an amazing song about mental health that resonated with me.

                                                


                                               ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ

                                         The Negatives 

    • it is just okay ๐Ÿ‘Ž
    • she didn't take risks ๐Ÿ‘Ž
    • very safe ๐Ÿ‘Ž
Brandy is still one of my fave artists but the album was nothing special. With the exception of "Borderline" and "Baby Mama"the songs were not memorable. I was bored and disappointed that she took no risks. Is it a decent album..sure. Will anybody be talking about a year from now? Unless you are a super fan I would so no. I still love and respect her artistry and what her previous albums mean to me. 
                                             

                                 Haim Women in Music Pt III (2020)

  I am quite the Haim fan, I love how they blend 80s inspired music, with R&B, 60s rock with Pop sensibilities. They have made some of my absolute fave songs from "If I Could Change Your Mind" to "Right Now" to " Honey and I" and so many more. Days Are Gone is an album I still have on repeat! Something to Tell You was good but I must say I did not love it. It is a good album but not memorable in any way (with the exceptions of the singles released). Women in Music Pt III on the other hand is a gem. Let's look at positives and negatives. 

                                              The Positives

    • production ๐Ÿ‘
    • sound direction ๐Ÿ‘
    • song-writing ๐Ÿ‘
    • vocals ๐Ÿ‘
    • story ๐Ÿ‘
 Once again there is slick production, and the blending of sounds (sound direction) was really good. The album flowed effortlessly and the songs are all unique in their own way. Like B7 this is a personal album. That is why I chose to do these albums together, they seemed to be about them and not appeasing the fans. It is about their journey and their music is just an expression of that. Their vocals were great and their harmonies are always good. The album story was crystal clear... a story of love, pain, loss..like the seven stages of grief in an album. It is fantastic and is almost perfect. 
 
                                             The Negatives
    • more slow tempo-ed 
    • some songs get lost in shuffle 
Let me be clear that saying that the album is more slow tempo-ed is not so much bad, as it is different. Their past two albums were more upbeat and dance-able so it was just a new sound for me. There are some great songs like "Now I'm in It", "Summer Girl",  "The Steps", "Another Try", "Leaning on You", "I Know Alone" and "Man from the Magazine". These are by far my absolute faves from the album, they are so good in fact that some of the others just get lost in the shuffle. They are not bad songs they just get lost. Ultimately I love this album and it made a lasting impression on me. 
 
                                            Final Thoughts 
The talent of both of these artists is immense and I am one reviewer and not even a professional one. These are just my opinions on the albums. Listen to them and make up your own mind. Stream them both on Spotify, Youtube Music,etc. 
 
Till next my queerlings! Love y'all!
 
Sources: google, wikipedia, my opinion.

 


 



 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My favorite Brandy Songs!

Ranking Lesbian Jesus: Hayley Kiyoko Extended Plays from Least Favorite to Favorite